Saturday, March 11, 2017

Buying Veggies

I wasn't sure if I ought to leave the house. It was chilly and cloudy and raining. And I didn't feel like driving in these wet, gray, misty conditions. I would've been much more comfortable curled up on the sofa, under a warm blanket, watching tv, reading a good book, or even taking a nap.

But in the end, a lull in the rain convinced me to go. And I was glad that I decided to walk to the small market to buy some produce. Though the building was small--a farmer's stand really--the selection was always fresh and delicious. And today, I decided to get some lush, green lettuce.

After perusing the delightful assortment of fantastic fruits, vibrant veggies, and fragrant herbs and spices, I was drawn to the lettuce. I bought 6 heads of crisp lettuce--three in each bag. Half would be prepped and shredded along with carrots to make a simple salad. I planned on marinating the shredded lettuce and carrot salad in a dressing of vinegar, oil, honey, salt, pepper, and a bit of mustard. The other three heads, I planned to shred and pickle with slices of onion.

As I made my way home, it started to drizzle again. I made sure my music player was secure in the plastic sandwich bag I was using to keep it dry. Other than my keys and some coins in my pocket, I had nothing else to worry about getting wet. And if the rain got into the shopping bag, that's okay. I needed to wash the lettuce anyway when I got home.

Now I confess that I did ponder bringing an umbrella on my walk to the farm stand. That would've been the smart and prudent thing to do. But I didn't feel like carrying an umbrella. And I was only taking cash to the farm stand, so I decided to keep the cash in the same plastic sandwich bag I kept my music player in. Even though the music player was supposed to be water resistant, I still thought it safer and best to keep it wrapped in a small plastic sandwich bag, just in case.

So my music player was dry, but I was not. Two miles. I was going to walk two miles in the rain to get home. A slight, light drizzle had gently started to soak into my jean jacket. And let's face it. A jean jacket isn't water resistant. And I had picked that jacket not for its water resistant qualities (or lack thereof), but because it felt comfortable; and it was the right kind of jacket one wears to the farm stand to buy produce.

I had chosen form over function. Practicality had given way to aesthetics. And that fashion decision was the reason I was now feeling the cool rain soak through my cap and the shoulders of my jean jacket. Still, I did not regret my decision to leave at home my umbrella, along with my poncho and rain coat. And now I had no shield nor a barrier to keep me dry. To the cars passing by in the end of the day rush, I must have looked a strange, forlorn sight--a lone walker carrying bags, soaked from the steady drizzle, trudging through the rain in the twilight, the gray skies only getting darker and wetter by the minute.

But I didn't care. I was fine. I had some great music going; my arms felt as I were carrying precious treasure; and I liked the feel of rain falling softly down on me. I was in a world of my own, singing along to the songs, even picking up my steps and bopping along to the music that made me want to dance.

If I wasn't carrying any shopping bags, I'd've spun and jumped, popped and locked, and maybe even done some robot moves on my way home. It felt great walking in the rain; I hadn't done it in a long time. And I was feeling liberated and uplifted at the same time. I was in my own little world, only keeping an eye out for traffic. I wanted to be sure it was clear before I crossed the small streets that cut across the sidewalk on my journey home. For the most part, I was in a reverie during my rainy stroll home. And it felt good.

But I was taken out of my thoughts when a car slowed down beside me, stopped, and the windows rolled down. I took out my left earphone to hear the driver and his passenger offer me a ride to get out of the rain. I was taken aback. A stranger offering me a ride? I thanked them politely and said that I was fine. I appreciated their offer, but I wanted to continue my walk home. They nodded, smiled, and rolled up the window and drove on.

I have to say. That was a very nice surprise. I didn't think that people would offer rides to strangers in the rain anymore. I didn't think that there were any more kind, thoughtful people left, at least not in this area. It's been years since I encountered a random act of kindness in these parts. And it made me feel good. I felt warm all over. I felt content and cheerful the rest of the way home.

I smiled as the cool rain fell on my face. There were still a few kind people left in this world, and that made the walk home feel even more wonderful. I was glad that I decided to go to the farm stand and buy some veggies. Not only did I get some delicious produce, but I learned that there are still are a few good, thoughtful people still living in this world. Life still had some nice surprises. And unexpected kindness makes the world just a little bit brighter, a little more beautiful, and a whole lot better.

Related Links
Market Days

6 comments:

  1. How kind. I'm sure it was thoughtfulness on the strangers part, rather than your hypnotic popping derriere that entranced them so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to have another set of skills to fall back on!

      Delete
    2. Ha! I was about to say something similar about your "charms" but Mr. DeVice beat me to it.

      Still, if the driver didn't make a pass, it WAS genuine kindness.

      Delete
    3. MJ, Whatever the reason, I'll take it as a compliment anytime someone stops and offers to pick me up!

      Delete
  2. I will have to work on my wiggle, I am always getting caught in the rain!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, When it comes to doing the wiggle just right, practice makes perfect!

      Delete